- Cultural Venues
- Cultural Calendar
- Cultural Office
- Innenraum Blick zum Altarraum © Stefan Melchior
- Modenschau Michael Michalsky © Rolf Zöllner
- Altarraum © Stefan Melchior
- Deckenansicht © Stefan Melchior
Zion‘s Church (3D visualization by Steffen Sommer)
The historic church is located on the central Zionskirchplatz in Berlin-Mitte, on what was formerly the highest hill of Berlin, surrounded by an inviting park grounds. The brick-terracotta building in the style of the New Romanesque, which is a registered historical monument, makes a striking impression with its 67-meter-high tower.
The Zion‘s Church community is dedicated to this place of worship and its traditions, while at the same time opening its doors to political and cultural, neighborhood-related and global topics.
In addition to innovative forms of worship and devotion, the Zion‘s Church considers itself an „open church,“ a place for a wide range of events, as well as for polymorphic, critical and conscious thinking, seeing and experiencing.
History of the Church
The Zion‘s Church was completed, under the architect August Orth, in 1873, and inaugurated on the anniversary of the signing of the peace treaty with France, in the presence of the patron, and at that point the crowned Emperor, Wilhelm I.
After its severe destruction during the Second World War, the church building was provisionally restored by 1953, so that it could again be used for worship. It was not until 1993 however, that the full restoration of the tower and roof, as well as the gradual restoration of the outer facade could begin.
In the fall of 2009, construction began on the ongoing interior renovation, during which time, amongst other things, the large-format stained-glass windows could be restored.
Location & Directions
Zionskirchplatz, 10115 Berlin-Mitte. Close to the Weinbergspark and Kastanienallee, set back from the street and surrounded by the church park.
Arrival by public transit: Zionskirchplatz (Tram M1, 12), Rosenthaler Platz (U8), Brunnen-/Invalidenstr. (Tram M8), street parking.
Rooms and Capacity
The Church Hall ground floor (600 m²), gallery in 1st floor (ca. 450 m²), two sacristies, church benches for maximum 550 people, entrance hall with one reception desk, restrooms in the basement. The church tower is accessible by request.
Temperature control system (maximum 12°C), high voltage electrical outlets. Further technical equipment available upon request.
As of 10 pm, a law regarding neighborhood noise reduction is in effect. Between 10 pm and 8 am deliveries, as well as any driving on the premises are prohibited.
Smoking is prohibited in the buildings. Candles are permitted only in fireproof vessels containing sand or water.