- Cultural Venues
- Cultural Calendar
- Cultural Office
- Galeriesaal © Stefan Melchior
- Probe Sasha Waltz & Guests, 2003
- Wiedereröffnung der Villa Elisabeth nach der Sanierung, 2014
A protected architectural monument, the Villa Elisabeth makes an impression through its grandeur and its historical charm. Through the spacious foyer and up the wide steps with wrought iron railings, the visitor arrives in the Main Hall, replete with stucco-ornamented columns and archways that support the overhanging gallery, as well as herringbone parquet hardwood floors, wainscoting, and heavy wooden double-doors. The grounds of Villa, along with the enclosed churchpark – a verdant gem in Berlin-Mitte – offer a place for rest and reflection. As both an independently-run and public space, the Villa Elisabeth serves as a venue for a diverse, curated cultural program. The Villa focuses primarily on Contemporary Composition and Early Music, experimental as well as interdisciplinary formats, but also hosts classical Chamber Music concerts, recitals and vocals with smaller instrumentation. The Villa is also proud to host modern Music- and Dance Theater, as well as experimental projects of emerging artists.
History of the Villa Elisabeth
The Villa Elisabeth was inaugurated as the parish hall for the neighboring St. Elisabeth Church in 1907, and was home to its vigorous parish life. After the destruction of the church in 1945, the Villa Elisabeth served additionally as the place of worship and religious services, until joining with the Elisabeth Parish in 1998. In 2003, the Elisabeth Cultural Bureau (Kultur Büro Elisabeth) was established, in order to use the St. Elisabeth Church together with the Villa Elisabeth as a cultural venue oriented towards a broader public.
Rooms and Capacity
The Main Hall on the first floor (305 m²), and Gallery on the second floor (171 m²), each with an ajoining room offering access to the the Main Hall and Gallery respectively, and containing separate staircases. The Foyer on the ground floor (141 m²), Studio 1 and Studio 2 (132 m²) and Studio 3 (53 m²), the main staircase, one restroom with handicap access on the ground floor, ladies‘ room on the first floor, men‘s room on the second floor. Maximum capacity: 400 persons standing, 230 in seated rows, 50 seats on the Gallery. Maximum 200 persons banquet seating. No parking on the premises, however loading zones are available.
400 designer chairs, 120 stacking chairs, 25 wooden chairs, 30 tables, 1 white half-round bar and 1 reception counter including lighting, 6 coat racks, 1 concert grand piano Boston Steinway (GP-193), 12 stage platforms, sound and lighting equipment, a video projector, projection screen, and further equipment available upon request. A detailed inventory can be found on our website. There is one high voltage outlet on each floor, with a maximum of 100 amperes on the 1st and 2nd floors. For artistic events, a house bar in the foyer of the Villa or in front of the Church is available. In the case of rentals, we gladly offer a custom bid upon request. There is, however, no obligation to use our catering or technical partners.
As of 10 pm, a law regarding neighborhood noise reduction is in effect. Between 10 pm and 8 am deliveries, as well as any driving on the premises are prohibited. Smoking is prohibited in all of the buildings. Candles are permitted only in fireproof vessels containing sand or water.